11.7.2010: Stephanie

Drop-crotch might be played out, but I once saw a photograph of a pair of ill-fitting pantyhose that stayed with me. Thus–drop-crotch sheer tights. The ballerina sequence in Runaway and phyllo dough. Tutus with an organic shape, like shelf mushrooms. Marilyn Monroe. Sexual vulnerability.

Hey friends, sorry about the long hiatus. I’m back now. I took some extra time off to visit my grandparents in China, clear out my head, learn how to handle a regular brush, etc. Got a few illustrations in Nylon and the New Yorker in the meantime, and softened my black lines to gray. Hope I haven’t lost every reader!

Category: Outfits | 17 Comments »

17 Comments on “11.7.2010: Stephanie”

1. 1 Adam Robezzoli said at 9:36 AM on November 7th, 2010:

Welcome back!

(I’m still holding onto hope that you will add videogame/interactive fiction content on here.)

2. 2 WANGELA said at 9:42 AM on November 7th, 2010:

Haha, I’ll see if I can work that in. I’m already influenced by Kazuma Kaneko, if that counts, but I hardly ever link him because his influence is always there.

3. 3 Lorena said at 10:37 AM on November 7th, 2010:

Glad you’re back! I can totally see the phyllo dough/shelf mushroom inspiration, I love the layered shapes. The grey lines look great too, I wouldn’t have been able to pinpoint the difference but I think the softer lines are a nice improvement.

4. 4 H RAE said at 11:51 AM on November 7th, 2010:

CONGRATS ON THE ILLUSTRATIONS IN NYLON/NEW YORKER.

i’ve been keeping up with this blog/site for a few months, thought it was awesome, great to hear you’re getting illustration jobs. :)

5. 5 Every Reader said at 12:06 PM on November 7th, 2010:

What? I’m sorry, I have no idea what you’re talking about.

6. 6 Jordan Piantedosi said at 12:17 PM on November 7th, 2010:

i check your site every day! your drawings are so beautiful, elegant and iconic and silly at the same time. i love your comics too. i wish that i could draw with you, because your work inspires me very much. the drawings in this blog are so nice that i’m sure they will eventually be published.

7. 7 Sophia said at 1:25 PM on November 7th, 2010:

Yes! I’ll follow you forever, Angie!

You’ve likely seen this already, but it made me think of you:

I’m glad you’re back! Congrats on New Yorker etc. Yay!

8. 8 chinchillakwak said at 9:13 PM on November 7th, 2010:

i’m glad you are back, too

i’m an asian stephanie, so this is nice to see

9. 9 WANGELA said at 9:56 PM on November 7th, 2010:

Thanks, guys! I’m so glad you’re still here.

Jordan: Let’s talk collaborations, girl! I followed Perfect Stars all through college. <3

10. 10 Hanna said at 3:54 AM on November 8th, 2010:

Strange but lovely drawing!!

11. 11 valeria said at 5:11 AM on November 8th, 2010:

increĆ­ble trabajo!!

12. 12 FashionGeorge said at 8:48 AM on November 8th, 2010:

Glad to have you back on board! Bookmarked and check out your website every day now. Many thanks!!!

13. 13 Kiel West said at 12:30 PM on November 8th, 2010:

Awesome.

Is there a name for this garment that goes around the neck and over the shoulders like this lady is wearing? I’ve seen it mostly on clowns…

14. 14 WANGELA said at 12:38 PM on November 8th, 2010:

Kiel: I think it’s usually called a ruff or ruffle collar!

15. 15 Rebekka Dunlap said at 9:12 PM on November 12th, 2010:

Breathtaking, can’t wait for more.

16. 16 Jordan Piantedosi said at 12:01 AM on November 16th, 2010:

whattttt no way, that’s awesome, im in a tizzy

17. 17 Lactose Intoler-Art said at 11:10 PM on November 17th, 2010:

SO cool! I saw a post on Susie Bubble’s blog recently featuring ruffle collars..They are so cool, I wish more girls would wear them, or as scarves…And the drop crotch panty hose are hilarious and awesome take on the trend. Ill fitting panty hose do look a little like drop crotch pants don’t they?

One of my favorite things about your illustrations is the colors you choose for their hair, lipstick, etc…Kind of an 80’s comic vibe, I LOVE it!

http://lactoseintolerart.blogspot.com -Street Fashion Illustrations